Grilled Italian Meatballs
- 1 1/2 pounds of 80/20 Ground Chuck
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup each of red, yellow and green bell pepper
- 1/3 cup of chopped red onion
- 1/2 cup of Panko Bread Crumbs
- 1 tablespoon of finely chopped garlic
- Dash of Worcestershire
- teaspoon of Oregano
- teaspoon of sea salt
- teaspoon of crushed black pepper
- teaspoon of crushed red pepper (optional )
- tablespoon of Extra Virgin Olive Oil
Saute over medium heat onion, red, green and yellow bell peppers, garlic till softened and set aside to cool. Use the EVO to saute .
in a large mixing bowl place meat, egg, Worcestershire, oregano, salt, pepper and bread crumbs. Put your sautéed veggies on top and mix by hand until everything is blended together. take a portion between 2 to 3oz. and roll by hand into meatballs and put into pan that you will take to your grill. You should get 12 to 15 meatballs when you have used all the mixture. Cover that pan and refrigerate while you are preparing the grill. This allows all the flavors to blend well. I grill mine at around 325 degrees over a charcoal fire. I like a little sear on mine. When meatballs are done set aside while dressing Hoagie Buns.
Making The Hoagie
- 4 large Hoagie Buns split in half
- 1 cup of marinara sauce
- 8 0z. of shredded Mozzarella cheese or Provolone
- sliced Black olives or sliced jalapeno peppers
Lay your buns out on a tray and spoon on marinara sauce on each side
On Flat side then place your meatballs on flat side of bun. sprinkle cheese on both sides of bun.
Put your olives and or pepper slices on top of cheese.
Turn your oven on to broil , put your sandwiches still open onto cookie sheet and place under broiler till cheese is melted and serve with salad or fresh cole slaw.